31 March 2011

Hand Applique

I'm very new to hand applique and while going through my stash and preparing for another Winter blast (grrrrr) I found an older book I had purchased a few years ago.  "Floral Quilts from Grandma's Cupboard".  The patterns look fairly easy and the author, Michelle Blackhurst makes everything look so fresh and it's like going back in time looking at the pictures.

I especially like her color and fabric choices but I'm going to make one of the quilts in scraps.  Some blocks will have bold flowers and others will have a more subdued look using Thimbleberries fabrics.  I haven't decided on the sashing yet and will wait until I get the quilt top completed.  I'm working on preparing pieces for the quilt found on page 20 called "Emmy's Favorite".  The background square colors I've chosen are yellows and peaches.  There are nine blocks in the quilt, I've prepared my pieces for two and only have the stems and leaves to prepare in a third then I can sit and practice stitching by our woodburning stove and watch the snow come down and daydream about Summer coming....someday.

1 comment:

  1. Here in our neck of the woods (North Dakota), a warm fireside is a most welcome place to sit out a winter storm :-) Thanks for posting at http://www.rocknquilts.blogspot.com If you like recipes from the 1930's-1960's, please check out my sister blog my mother and I have put together at http://www.rocknrecipes-rocknquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Card of the Day!

CotD:   6 of Wands Returning home victoriously to a celebrating crowd.   Public recognition, progress, moment of glory and self-confi...